Thursday, March 27, 2008

Brainfood #1: Sherman Alexie


"Brainfood" will be an ongoing snapshot of the words and music that are currently capturing my attention. Brief mentions, that's all.

I'm reading Sherman Alexie's 1995 novel, Reservation Blues, the magical tale of what happens when Robert Johnson arrives on the Spokane Indian Reservation, and the resulting events that unfold when Johnson leaves his diabolically influenced guitar. Soon Thomas Builds-the-Fire and his buddies form the band Coyote Springs, and their lives become changed by Rock n' Roll. A dream-laden, rock n' roll powwow, Res Blues is both funny and darkly somber, simultaneously droll and deadly serious. Fans of Alexie's movie Smoke Signals will recognize Thomas and his chums, as their tales interweave with the film's narrative. Highly recommended.

1 comment:

FairiesNest said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this book! I remember you had mentioned it to me and it really sounded like something I'd like...off to add it to my wish list now.